Ahhh I must admit that it feels wonderful sitting down at my computer and writing a blog post once again. I cannot believe I haven’t posted anything in over two months!! I took a break from blogging as I was very busy with end of semester exams, work and other activities. I also simply wanted to do other things and not focus on my blog too much.. just for a little while anyway. However, the rush of excitement which took over me when I began writing this post clearly shows that I have missed writing. So, let’s get down to business!
To apologise for my lack of posts I thought it would be appropriate to treat you with a yummy breakfast recipe because, let’s face it, there is nothing better than starting the day with an awesome breakfast. Well, let me tell you that this Creamy Porridge recipe hits the spot in terms of making one smile of yumminess/happiness :)
The good thing is this recipe is very easy to make and won’t take you long. I used the Power Porrij from Brookfarm (which I found in my pantry thanks to my lovely mother) and I must say that it is a fantastic porridge to use as it contains 7 grains (i.e. not just oats and tastes delicious). However, if you do not have this exact brand then don’t worry at all as traditional oats will do just fine!
Ingredients (for one serving):
- 1/3 cup of oats
- 1/2 cup of milk (I used normal full cream milk but any kind of milk will do including almond or soy milk) – note that you can also just use water instead of milk if you prefer.
- 1/2 banana
- Desiccated coconut
- 3 strawberries
- 1 tsp of Raw Cacao Powder
- 1 tsp of Sweetener (such as honey, maple syrup, rice malt or agave syrup)
- Almond flakes
- Start by cooking your porridge: combine 1/2 cup of milk or water in a saucepan and stir to combine. Gently heat to a low simmer, stirring occasionally and cook until water/milk is absorbed and the porridge reaches a thick and creamy texture (this should take approximately 4 minutes).
- Whilst the porridge is cooking, cut up half a banana and mush it down using a fork. Once the banana reaches a purée like consistency add in one heaping teaspoon of cacao powder and a dash of milk if you want. Mix the ingredients together and then add a teaspoon of sweeter (this is optional). You should end up with a nice, creamy chocolate sauce.
- Cut up your strawberries.
- Once the porridge is ready pour it in your bowl and let it cool down just a little bit.
- The last step is to simply add the chocolate sauce to your porridge along with the strawberries, desiccated coconut and almond flakes!
And there you go: you’ve got yourself a wonderful breakfast in a tick which should keep you full for a while!
Note that I actually didn’t pour all of the chocolate sauce in the photo featured above (for aesthetic reasons). You should have a good amount of sauce for the porridge! However, if you are a chocolate addict like me you can always make more sauce by using more banana or adding more milk if you wish.
Enjoy and if you have any questions please let me know, I would love to answer them.
Lots of love