This excellent breakfast is fantastic as it takes hardly any time to prepare and can be picked up from the fridge on your way out and eaten on the go if required.
I’ve played around with different recipes of overnight/soaked oats in the past but ended up crafting my own recipe using ingredients I had at home which I am very, very happy with! I actually prepared this breakfast in take-away compartments for my parents the other day and was curious/anxious to hear about how they liked it (expecting very average feedback). To my surprise, they both messaged me saying they loved it! My dad even said that it had made his day so that was a very big compliment! The fact that my parents enjoyed it was a good test to check whether my recipe was yummy enough for people who don’t usually eat oats/soaked muesli :) SUCCESS!
In my recipe I used Brookfarm’s Porrij Oats (like in my Creamy Porridge Topped with Banana Chocolate Sauce recipe) which were very yummy but, again, don’t worry if you just have normal rolled oats at home (they will be perfect as well). I also had some quinoa flakes so used some of them but you could just do without if you don’t have them at home and just add a bit more oats instead. Feel free to tweak my recipe as you like it: add different types of nuts/oats and play around with different toppings (you can also use almond/soy milk if you prefer)!
- 1/3 cup of mixed oats (or normal oats)
- 1 tbsp quinoa flakes
- 1 tbs almond flakes
- 1 tbs desiccated coconut
- 2 tbs chia seeds
- 1/4 apple cut into very fine pieces (you can use the rest of the apple as topping once the soaked muesli is ready the next morning)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (very yummy I guarantee – adds so much flavour)
- Pour all the ingredients together (except the milk) in a container of your choice
- Mix well
- Add just enough milk to cover all the ingredients
- Close with a lid and place in the fridge to set over night
- In the morning, add toppings of your choice like apple slices, almond or coconut flakes, banana, etc.
So there you go, as promised in my last post, you now have the recipe for a perfect post-workout breakfast!
P.s: This recipe is great on-the-go but can also be perfectly enjoyed in bed with a good book :)