These photos don’t do this dish justice. It is the easiest thing to whip out yet the hardest thing to say goodbye to. Be prepared to engulf your bowl of choco porridge in less than 2 minutes (it’s that yummy).
I actually made this breakie yesterday and my sister who was watching me prepare it told me I should take a photo of it and upload the recipe onto my blog because it looked tasty. So I followed her wise advice and now I am very happy I have because I am delighted to share this successful recipe with you all. I had such a good and productive Monday starting with the best training session early in the morning quickly followed by this fantastic breakfast which may have been an influential factor helping me pass my full drivers license test (hurray)! Let’s hope that if you try this at home your day will unravel as well as mine did!
For the porridge itself:
- 1/4 cup of quinoa flakes
- 1/4 cup of rolled oats
- 2/3 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon of honey/maple syrup/rice malt
(Note that if you don’t have quinoa flakes then stick to just using rolled oats – 1/3 to 1/2 cup all up is a good serving size for one person I find)
Toppings (this is just an idea – use anything you have at hands!):
- 1 or 2 large strawberries
- 1/4 of a banana
- Small handful of blueberries
- 1 teaspoon of LSA
- Combine all of the porridge ingredients together in a saucepan and stir to combine. Gently heat to a low simmer, stirring occasionally and cook until milk is absorbed and the porridge reaches a thick and creamy texture (this should take approximately 4 minutes).
- Once the porridge has cooled down slightly, add your toppings and voila :)
So easy isn’t it?! Don’t forget to play around with different toppings like chia seeds, almond flakes, mixed nuts, desiccated coconut, mixed berries, etc.
This breakfast is best enjoyed along side of a nice cup of tea or a banana smoothie if you’re feeling like a larger breakfast!
Let me know if you have any questions!
Lots of love,